In 1876 from the donation by Cheang Hong Lim of $3000 dollars to the municipal government, the idea of a ‘public garden’ arose. The project turned the empty land in front of the Central Police Station, called Dunman’s Green into a large ornamental garden. Later known as Public Garden and Hong Lim Green, it was one of the few green spaces in Singapore. The green space, worlds apart from the crammed tenements in Kreta Ayer. It was one of the early efforts in urban greening in Singapore. Throughout history, it had also been a sports club playing field, a place for political rallies and later as the Speakers’ Corner.

The work charts the evolution of Hong Lim Park through Singapore’s history.
1869
1900
1950
2016
Installation